Speech Contests are ONLINE for Spring 2023.
Click here for the Area and Division contest schedule.
You may already have had experience with traditional, on-site contests, but online speech contests require adapting what we already know into processes and procedures more suited to a more technical virtual environment. Whether you are a Contest Chair, Club Officer, contest participant, or an Area or Division Director looking for guidance, these resources will help you plan and hold a contest at any level.
Checklists & Forms
These planning checklists help ensure that all necessary items are covered during the contest and pre-contest briefings.
Contest Chair Checklist for Online: a guide to assist the Contest Chair or VPE in planning the contest and organizing the team. It includes contest roles, tech tips, an overview of the pre-contest briefings and contest day, and sample program agenda.
- Guidelines on how to conduct and promote a Contest
- Organizing an Online Speech Contest
- Online Contest Planning Template Spreadsheet
- Speech Contest Eligibility Checker: This tool allows club and district officers to check membership status, club status, and if a member is serving as a club or district officer.
Contestant Briefing Checklists for Online: pre-contest checklists the Toastmaster uses to brief contestants about the contests.
Chief Judge Briefing Checklists for Online: pre-contest checklists the Chief Judge uses to brief voting judges, tiebreaker judges, timers, ballot counters, and SAA.
Contest Slides & Awards
How to Run a Successful Online Contest (TLI, January 30, 2021)
Scripts provide step-by-step direction and speech content for each of the contest officials identified in the contest program―the Sergeant at Arms, Contest Chair, Toastmaster, Chief Judge, Timer, and others. These may be modified as long as the contest rules, speaker introductions, and timing in the script adhere to the Speech Contest Rulebook.
- 2023 Tall Tales Speech Contest Script – DOCX
- 2023 Tall Tales Speech Contest Script – PDF
- 2023 International Speech Contest Script – DOCX
- 2023 International Speech Contest Script – PDF
- 2023 Generic Division/Area Combined Contests Tall Tales-Intl – DOCX
- 2023 Generic Division/Area Combined Contests Tall Tales-Intl – PDF
- 2023 Multiple Area Contests Tall Tales-Intl – DOCX
- Announcement of Contest Winners – PDF
Speech Contest Kits
Toastmasters International provides the documents, for purchase or free download, that you need to hold a speech contest at any level.
Speech Contest Rulebook: the official document that governs speech contests in Toastmasters.
Rulebook Changes: what changed from the 2021-2022 rulebook.
Speech Contest Tutorials: three video lessons explaining the fundamental principles of speech contests.
Conduct Quality Speech Contests (for area and division directors)