Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Last update: April 15, 2020, 8:30pm.
We are aware of the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) is having on members and clubs in our District. We are in regular communication with Toastmasters International. We are closely monitoring the situation and taking the necessary steps to support our members.
Please revisit this page often. We will update it as new information becomes available.
Guidance from Toastmasters International
Due to safety and government restrictions, Toastmasters International understands that clubs in Districts 101 may not be able to meet in person. Therefore, they have made the following exceptions:
- Clubs are strongly recommended to have meetings online
- All Area and Division Speech contests must be conducted online
You can also check the latest update from Toastmasters International with regards to COVID-19
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the format of an Online Meeting?
- Unmute only when speaking to reduce noise, etc.
- Turn off all the webcams except the speaker and the timer’s webcam, so that the timing signals can be seen by the speaker.
- Table topic master can call out the member to respond, at which point the member can unmute and speak.
As soon as in-person meetings are possible, clubs are expected to switch back to regular meetings at their venue.
Will area, division, or district speech contests be cancelled?
What is happening with the District Conference in May?
Is the deadline for membership renewal extended?
Will the deadline to earn educational awards in the legacy program be extended?
However, Toastmasters International has made an exception only for the ALS or DTM Award submission and extended it by an year. All other award submissions still need to happen before June 30, 2020. Please read the specific guidelines from Toastmasters International.
Will there be any changes made to the Distinguished Club Program for the current year?
What is happening with the International Convention in August?
Tips and Resources
Stay at home from any in-person interactions if you:
- Feel sick or have symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, etc.)
- Recently had contact with an individual known or suspected to have COVID-19
- Or if you are at a higher risk (elderly or immunocompromised)
- Traveled to China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Italy, Iran or other high-risk areas in the past 14 days. Check the CDC website for more details.
- Completely avoid shaking hands and other physical contact (use elbow bumps, or wave hands, etc.)
- Create physical space to minimize close contact (one arm length, sit every other seat)
- Always make use of hand washing capabilities or hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes, and tissues
- Avoid touching your face or high touch surfaces with your bare hands (use a tissue)
For your Online Meetings, use available video conferencing applications such as:
- Free Conference Call
- Google Hangouts
- Google Meet
- Microsoft Teams
- GoTo Meeting
Many of these services are free or currently offering limited time access for non-profits during the crisis. For more tips on how to conduct your virtual meetings online check out the Online Meetings for Clubs page. Included are instructions on getting speaker feedback and Table Topics voting.